Studying in America and Canada

What documents are required?

You are required to provide the following documents for yourself and any accompanying


  1. Proof of unconditional acceptance for attendance at a university, college, or technical institution, a letter from the educational institution to show:
    • the name of the institution;
    • confirmation of your acceptance and/or registration as a student;
    • the course of study;
    • the duration of the academic program; and
    • the latest date you may register.

    For attendance at an educational institution in Quebec, you will also need a "Certificat d'acceptation du Québec" (Quebec Certificate of Acceptance, or CAQ) issued by the Ministère des Affaires internationales, de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles du Québec (MAIICCQ).

    1. Proof of identity
      • A valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it (citizens and permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre, Miquelon, and Greenland do not require a passport but do require proof of status such as a national identity card or an alien registration card); and
      • Two recent passport size photos for each family member (the name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo).
    2. Proof of financial support
      • Evidence that you can support yourself and accompanying dependants while you study in Canada. Such evidence may include:
        • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;
        • your bank statements for the past four months;
        • a bank draft in convertible currency;
        • proof of payment of tuition and residence fees;
        • for those with a scholarship or those with a Canadian funded educational program: proof of funding paid from within Canada;
      • If foreign exchange control measures exist in your country, you must provide proof that you will be permitted by the exchange control authorities of your country to export funds for all of your expenses; and
      • If additional documents are required, a visa officer will inform you.

      prior |  Book Contents  |  Chapter Contents  | next


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!