Studying in America and Canada

Question: I am a third year Electrical Engineering student in Madhya Pradesh, India. I am very interested in pursuing a Master's degree in the USA. However, it would be financially impossible for me to do so on my own. Can you please give me some guidance on how to go about not only getting admission but also financial aid?

Answer: Let us first address the issue of admission into a US university for a Masters in Electrical Engineering. The degree is commonly referred to as MS (Master of Science) in EE (Electrical Engineering), or simply MSEE. The basic requirements for admission vary considerably across colleges, but they typically constitute your grades (marks), the GRE score, letters of recommendation, and the perceived caliber of your current academic institution. You should carefully review the requirements of various schools. Although it is not terribly difficult to get into an MSEE program, it is fiercely competitive to get into a top-tier college. Accordingly, superior scores at school and on the GRE are imperative. An application for admission requires a fee of $50 to $100 for each college, so you have to be selective in targeting your colleges of choice, balancing your personal performance with your ambitions. You can review the rankings of colleges in the US for making decisions. You should start the admissions process about one year before your graduation from your current school.

Financial aid in the US comes in various forms - scholarships, assistantships, loans, tuition fee waiver or relief, etc. International students, like you, are not eligible for financial aid of any form from government agencies. You are not eligible for any type of loans either. Effectively, you are left with securing scholarship, assistantship, and/or tuition relief from your college. This is where getting admitted into a top-tier college ties to financial aid. Top-tier colleges tend to have substantially larger resources for supporting their students. Professors at these colleges have larger research grants to support research assistantships, while colleges themselves can support more teaching assistants. Note that scholarships and assistantships in the US often carry tuition fee relief as well.

The cost of education is extremely high in the US. Secure all the necessary financial resources prior to leaving for the US.

prior |  Book Contents  |  Chapter Contents  | next


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!