Dear Mentor:

As a pharmacy student, how do I transfer into a US college?

I want your advice in choosing a university in America. I don't know what I need. I want to go as a transfer student. I am Sudanese and I want to know what will they ask, for I have studied the O-Levels [Ordinary Levels] and 2 years of a Pharmacy program in Sudan. I want to transfer. Please help.

Transferring Pharma, Sudan

Dear Transferring Pharma:

First of all, we must tell you that virtually no financial aid is available to international students in the US for pursuing a Bachelor's degree. The cost of education in the US is extremely high. You should be able to afford $15,000 to $45,000 per year in total costs, depending on your prospective college, to be able to study in the US.

Typically, the A-Level (Advanced Level) courses are required to enter a Bachelor's degree program in the US. Transfer of credits for courses that you may have done elsewhere, above the minimum entry requirements, depends on individual colleges. There is no universal assessment mechanism. Each college would determine which of your courses are equivalent to the courses in its program, thereby resulting in a transfer of credits and reducing the length of the Bachelor's program for you. You are not likely to get significant credits for transfer. In effect, you would pretty much be joining the Bachelor's program at the entry level. The Bachelor's program in the US is 4 years in duration.

Getting admitted to colleges in the US is not any different from elsewhere in the world: identify colleges, submit applications along with required documentation, and wait for the response. You can find the List of Science Colleges in the US and the List of Medical Colleges in the US in the iMahal Education Channel.

Dear Mentor: Mainpage More Questions and Answers


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!