Dear Mentor:

What new documents are needed to change F1 to H1?

What are the documents that one should take to the INS [Immigration & Naturalization Service] to get a visa status changed from F1 to H1? Have there been any changes in the process after 9/11 event?

F1 to H1, Sunnyvale, California, USA

Dear F1 to H1:

We are assuming the your H1B visa (temporary skilled-worker visa in the US) petition has been approved by the US INS. Subsequent to the petition approval, you need to visit with the INS to get the visa. Here is a list of documents that you need:

  • Passport
  • Documents sent by your employer to the INS
    • Appointment letter by your Employer
    • Employee's Copy of the I-94
    • Labor Certification Approval (LCA)
    • Tax return papers of the company (if previously sent by the employer to the INS)
    • Copy of letter to the Department of Justice
    • Copy of letter to the Consular General of the Indian consulate
    • A copy of the official evaluation of your degrees (if previously sent by the employer to the INS)
  • Certificates:
    • All degree and diploma certificates
    • Appointment and Relieving certificates for all the companies where you claim employment OR Service certificates from the company giving dates and duration of your service
  • A copy of your most recent resume
  • Two demand drafts (DDs) taken in favor of the name specified -- one for the Processing Fee ($45) and the other for the Issuance Fee ($100). Note: the fees are subject to change without notice. You may wish to carry cash instead.
  • 3 passport-size color photographs
  • Application form, if you obtained it previously
We are not aware of any changes made to the process or requirements subsequent to the September 11 attacks on the US. However, it is public knowledge that the examination of applications for visa and candidates has become more thorough.

Dear Mentor: Mainpage More Questions and Answers


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!