Dear Mentor:

Will my husband's I-20 help my visa application?

I would like to know an answer for this problem as soon as possible. Please help me by giving the required information. My husband is currently studying at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Now he has got my name included in his I-20 form to get me to where he is. Would that alone help me to get my visa? As we are from Sri Lanka, it is kind of hard to get visa to the US. Can the Embassy reject my visa? Please help me.

Worried About Visa, Sri Lanka

Dear Worried About Visa:

The officials at the local US Embassy determine what may be required, if anything, in addition to the publicly stated requirements. It depends on the individual case. You are generally required to produce your birth certificate, marriage certificate, your degree(s), proof of finances, and so on.

You apparently have the official document for a dependent of an international student to apply for the US visa. The local US Embassy would like to ensure that you are going to the US for the purpose stated and you have adequate financing to sustain yourself for the duration of your stay in the US.

Typically, the process for obtaining a visa is fairly straightforward, albeit somewhat cumbersome and bureaucratic. Don't be nervous; just answer questions truthfully. The US immigration officials always have the right to reject any visa application for any reason. Thus, there are no guarantees. However, if you fulfill the typical requirements and you are deemed to be truthful, the issuance of a visa should not be a problem.

You may wish to visit the Information on the US Visa in the iMahal Education Channel.

Dear Mentor: Mainpage More Questions and Answers


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!