Dear Mentor:

Can I transfer to a US engineering college?

I am doing mechanical engineering from Pune University. I want to know whether there is any facility of transfer from my university to any university in USA I have completed 2 years in my university.

Want to Go to US Now, Pune, Maharashtra, India

Dear Want to Go to US Now:

Let us first address how the schools in the US and Canada deal with the transfer of credits or courses. Depending on the school and the program, a school may allow a transfer of credits worth up to one year of studies. It is a decision made by individual schools. The decision will vary, and sometimes dramatically, across schools. A transfer of credits is allowed if the school determines that your courses are equivalent to those in the curriculum of the program to which you are applying or enrolled. Sometimes the school may determine that you are "exempted" from one or more courses. An "exemption" simply means that you are not required to take the courses from which you have been granted exemption, but you would have to replace them with some other courses of equal or greater difficulty.

We can now address your situation. First, you would have to approach individual schools to see whether they would transfer your courses. Should you want to pursue this path, we would encourage you to submit the course syllabus and the final exams for the courses you wish to transfer. Second, the best possible scenario, should it happen for you, is that you would save one year of studies, effectively losing half of the 2-year effort that you have already put in. Third, virtually no financial assistance is available for the Bachelor's degree studies, so be prepared to spend a bundle through personal means. The cost of education in the US is extremely high. The total cost ranges from $15,000 to $45,000 per year.

You can find the List of Engineering Schools in the US in the iMahal Education Channel.

Dear Mentor: Mainpage More Questions and Answers


   Search Help

Tell a friend about this webpage!