- Spelling -
In our opening paragraph several words have been misspelled:
... exploreation ... ... excitment ...
The spelling issue here involves whether to drop the silent e before adding a suffix. In both cases we have violated a prime rule of spelling:
Rule: When adding a suffix to a word that ends in an unpronounced e:
- If the suffix begins with a vowel, drop the e.
- If the suffix begins with a consonant, keep the e.
- explore + ation = exploration
- excite + ment = excitement
- being, noticeable, courageous
- truly, ninth, argument
- Common Spelling Errors -
In this lesson on words, we end with some practice on commonly misspelled words. Say each word out loud, put a finger over the word, and then spell it out loud. It should only take a few minutes, and it really will help improve your spelling skills.
Note that we have underlined the letters where most spelling mistakes are made.