The Largest India-Centric Directory
Nirvana of Directories.
Arts and Culture > History >
- Indian History - An Indian Government site (Ministry of External Affairs); an informative site with a set of web pages giving an outline of history from prehistoric to modern times.
- Indiatime History - A large collection of Indian historial links. Includes timelines and histories of religions, science, arts and business, and regional histories.
- Ancient India - Acadamic site. Brief overviews of the major topics from prehistory through to the Islamic invasions.
- Ancient Indus Tour: Indus Essay 1 - A 90 slide tour of the ancient Indus Valley with one of its foremost scholars, Jonathan Mark Kenoyer.
- Aryan invasion; lack of evidence - Article by Koenraad Elst, seeking to demonstrate lack of evidence for the Aryan Invasion Theory.
- Archaeology and prehistory of Tamilnadu - Accounts of the old studies of the prehistory of the Tamil country, and modern work in the Kortallayar basin.
- Chitrapur Saraswat and Dakshinatya Saraswat Brahmins; history - Describes the history of these two groups of Konkani Brahmins.
- Discover India Gallery - Archaeology of India; an online magazine with a large archive.
- East India Company History - The history page of the East India Company's website. Brief account of the company and why it still exists now, its present status.
- Heritage (India Heritage) - A site devoted to the culture of India. In particular there are pages describing the history and development of temple architecture.
- History of India - a graphic presentation - A graphic rich site providing an overview of Indian history with lots of photographs.
- History of India: Books - A comprehensive annotated catalog of books on the history and politics of India. A search facility is also available at the site.
- HISTORY: The East India Trade - Theme page on the East India Trade from 1500 to 1800. It is mainly concerned with the Danish East India Company.
- Itihaas: Chronology -- Independent India - Essays and contributions on the history of Independent India, 1947 to the present.
- Itihaas: The History of India - An overview of the whole of Indian history with detailed articles on many specific subjects, and web links.
- Indus Valley; People and Languages - Detailed account by Dr Tariq Rahman on the people and languages of the IV civilisation, and their relationships to modern societies and languages.
- Indus Valley; recent finds. - An account for the layman of recent finds of the Indus Valley civilisation.
- Indology - Main Menu - Indology is the study of classical Indian languages, history, and culture. This is an academic site with a large and up to date collection of links.
- Internet Indian History Sourcebook - An extensive collection of links and original source material on the history, religion and culture of the whole subcontinent, from the earliest times to the present.
- Indian Mutiny - Standard retelling of the events of 1857 as a brief set of web pages. Concentrates on the principal events.
- Indian Mutiny 1857 - Elisa Greathed: An Account of the Opening of the Indian Mutiny at Meerut, 1857
- Kashmir - outline history. - Moderately detailed history from an Indian nationalist viewpoint.
- Koenraad Elst's Indology homepage : Indian history, religion and politics. - Indological site with frequently updated articles on Indian history, religion and politics.
- Landscapes and gardens in India - A short essay on the history and development of landscapes and gardens in the Indian subcontinent
- Library of Hindu History - An overall view of the history of Hindu India, from the most ancient times, seen from a modern religious viewpoint.
- Manas: History and Politics - A brief overview of the history of the subcontinent.
- Macaulay's Minute on Indian Education - Text of a report which laid the foundation for the education system created in the Company ruled lands.
- Mahatma Gandhi - Gandhi's life and work. An informative site, also a large collection of links to yet more information.
- Mughal Empire - Detailed account of the founding of the Mughal empire, and of Babar, Humayun and Akbar.
- NM's Creative Impulse..India - Collection of links; history, geography, culture and society of India.
- Nizams of Hyderabad - A listing of the Nizams of the (last) Asif Jahi dynasty, with a short description of the rule of each.
- Physics and Chemistry - Account of the history of these subjects in the subcontinent. Includes links to other history pages.
- Padri; excavations. - A detailed account of the findings of the recent excavations at Padri, an IV civilisation village in Saurashtra.
- Rewriting Indian History by F. Gautier - Criticisms of established mainstream histories and historians of India. Concentrates particularly on the period of Muslim domination, and accepted views of the Muslim conquests. At www.hindu.org.
- Sarasvati Sindhu Civilization: Home Page - A detailed account of recent work on the Indus Valley civilisation (Sarasvati-Sindhu civilization).
- Sidi Al Reis; travels to India - Extract from the Mirat ul Memalik, the account by Sidi Al Reis, a Turkish admiral of his travels in India in 1557.
- The Myth of Aryan Invasion of India - David Frawley makes the case stated in the title in a detailed exposition.
- Tamil History - An moderately detailed single page account, more valuable for the recent history.
- The History of Punjab - A brief history of the Punjab, up to the 18th Century.
- Taj Mahal - An account of the Taj Mahal, including photographs, history, construction, layout.
- The Babur Nama - An extract from Babur's account of his invasion of India, a backgrounder on the Babri Masjid issue and Mir Baqi's inscription on the mosque
- Tipu Sultan - The Tiger of Mysore - Accounts of Tippu Sultan and his kingdom, on a graphics rich site with lots of pictures and maps. Includes a slide presentation.
- What is the Aryan Problem? - The History and Causes.
<! -- Image map (client side) created by PMisra 4/28/2000 -->